Fresource Friday: Surrender of tenancy form


Do you need a form to record an agreement with your tenant that the tenancy has ended? If so download this free form.

There are generally four ways in which residential tenancies end:

  • Termination by landlord
  • Termination by tenant giving notice
  • Tenant vacating on the last day of a fixed term tenancy, and
  • Surrender.
Image of chain about to be broken

'Surrender' is the legal term for an agreement between the landlord and tenant that the tenancy will end.

A surrender can occur during both a periodic and fixed term tenancy. The basic idea is that landlords and tenants are free to end the tenancy if they both want to.

A surrender often happens where a tenant wants the tenancy to end and the landlord consents to regaining possession of the dwelling immediately, rather than insisting on the tenant serving notice (or holding a fixed term tenant to the end of the term).

Ending a tenancy by mutual agreement is best done in writing if possible. For the landlord a written agreement should prevent a dispute arising subsequently about whether there was an effective agreement to end the tenancy.

You can download the form here.

If it's a joint tenancy both tenants will need to sign the form.


    Sign up for updates

    Receive the latest updates in your inbox. If you're already registered, enter your email to modify the updates you receive.